Sunday, October 17, 2010

no way/ no how /do we ever forget what we seen

when i was younger, i never noticed just how many people you lose ...
like instantly.
you wake up and they're gone.
all kinds of people, those who you are close to, and then those you want to be close to. those that have such an impact on your growth, completely unknown by them. little do they know, how they pick you up, inspire you, push you, entertain you or simply, help you relate, help you grown into the person you want to become.
anyone who knows me well, knows that i love music. i love all kinds of music, which pretty much began when i got a job at tower records back in my senior year of high school. oh god, was that long ago..! ha, anyway, i immersed myself in all sorts of records, i'd have long conversations with the jazz buyer, the world buyer, stock cds and cop something because the cover struck a chord. spent my whole paycheck at times on music. music filled my soul-it still does. i can tell you that certain songs define a moment in my life- and there is no way you can tell me that its not the perfect accompaniment. i worked there for four years- throughout college as well. i would take the long walks home at night, after closing the store at midnight, and walk down clark street north to belmont- filling my massive headphones with all kinds of mixes i would burn for myself.
back in those days, i was obsessed with underground hip hop..the backpacker hip hop, they would call it. i would head out to metro on weekends and watch my favorites perform. i remember the time i met eyedea. he was just about one of the most approachable people in the world. its sad to learn, that he has passed away.

its been a long time since i've pulled out my 200 plus cd book of hip hop- these are the days of ipods and shuffles and pandora- and the chance that something like this comes up, man, you have to be looking for it. and thats just the thing, this music was good for my soul, my nineteen year old soul-and how it helped me-in more ways than i can ever explain to you... but how good is this? how great was this album on early winter mornings heading to 8am class at depaul, completely stoned. don't really know exactly how he passed away, but its tragic nonetheless.... ahh, this takes me back - rest in peace, michael. 28 years old.1/2 of eyedea & abilities duo, a pivotal force in rhymesayers fam & underground hip hop, you & your talent will be missed.

No comments: